Payments & Utility Account Services
The Utilities Service Center is open during construction. Our temporary payment counter is located adjacent to its customary location in the public lobby.
Due to the Governor's Directive requiring face coverings in public places for anyone aged 5 and older, our customers are asked to mask up when they come in. Masks are provided for those who need one.
In addition to the special provisions outlined below, the Public Works Department continues to offer budget billing and payment plan options to our customers. See the Account Services and Online Payments tabs for additional information on these and other payment resources.
CARES Act Funds
Contact HRDC to obtain an application or to learn more about the Application for Essential Services (COVID-19) and funding available to assist with utility services. The local District 7 office may be reached at (406) 869-2593, or find more information online at hrdc7.org .
Overview of Montana Governor’s Orders & Utility Services
The Governor of the State of Montana issued Executive Orders 2-2020 and 3-2020 declaring that a state of emergency exists in Montana due to the global outbreak of COVID-19 Novel Coronavirus. On March 30 and April 13 Directives were issued providing measures to limit foreclosures, evictions, and disconnections from [utility] services during the State of Emergency.
On May 19, 2020 a Directive implementing Executive Orders 2-2020 and 3-2020 and establishing conditions for Phase Two reopening of businesses and operations were released. In part this Directive allowed for the terms of the March 30 and April 13 Directives and all of their terms to remain in effect through May 24, unless modified by subsequent Directive, except as follows:
- For individuals who are members of a vulnerable population, who have suffered a significant financial hardship as a result of the outbreak, and who, pursuant to this Directive, remain sheltered at home, the protections of the March 30 and April 13 Directives continue and will expire 30 days after the individual ceases to shelter at home or at the end of the emergency, whichever is sooner.
- An individual who seeks the protection of these provisions to prevent a foreclosure, eviction, or disconnection after June 1 must make a basic showing to their bank, landlord, or utility that they are (1) sheltering in place under this order, are (2) a member of a vulnerable population, and (3) have been financially impacted as a result of the COVID-19 outbreak.
Members of the ‘Vulnerable Population’ are defined as “People over 65 years of age, people with serious underlying health conditions, including high blood pressure, chronic lung disease, diabetes, obesity, or asthma, and people whose immune system is compromised such as by chemotherapy for cancer or other conditions requiring such therapy.”
|If your utility bill is delinquent and/ or you cannot pay your balance due in full, take action immediately based on your status:|
If you are a qualifying member of the Vulnerable Population, are continuing to shelter at home and have been adversely financially impacted by the COVID-19 outbreak, you may apply for an EXEMPTION from late fees and shut-off of services:
If you do not qualify for the Vulnerable Population exemption and are experiencing financial difficulties due to the COVID-19 outbreak and are not able to pay your utility bill in full, contact our customer service office immediately to set-up a payment plan and prevent shut-off of services: (406) 657-8315
Utility Account Services
The City of Billings provides reliable service for Water, Wastewater and Garbage Collection Utilities for both residential and commercial customers within the City limits.
Call the Utilities Service Center at (406) 657-8315 for assistance with any of the following:
- Set up a new account
- Update account information
- Transfer services to a new address
- Make a one-time payment
- Make a Payment Plan
- Request Recurring Payments
- Request Paperless Billing
- Turn off service for repairs
- Other inquiries or concerns
Online forms are available for your convenience:
- Statement to Hold Harmless
- Water Quality Concern Reporting
- Learn about Water or Wastewater charges and fees
- Learn about Garbage Collection or Billings Regional Landfill charges and fees
- Check out the latest Water Quality and Consumer Confidence Report (CCR)!
Refunds are only given for customer accounts that have been closed and have a credit balance. If you have another water/sewer service account, the balance will be transferred to that account. If you have questions, please call (406) 657-8315.
Please note the following
- Internet Explorer is not compatible with InvoiceCloud and WaterSmart applications.
- We accept these forms of payment online:
It doesn’t matter if you’re on iPhone, Android, Windows, or any other system. The WaterSmart Portal is responsive and designed to provide current account information and interactive alerting capabilities regardless of your device or platform.
Rates and Fees
Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I register for WaterSmart?
- Go to WaterSmart enter your account number and zip code and select Find my account, create a password when prompted and you’re ready to go!
- How do I sign up for Auto Pay?
- Login to WaterSmart, select Billing from the menu options at the top of the screen, then select Payments and use Autopay to update your preferences.
- How do I view/ print my bill?
- Login to WaterSmart, from the home screen select View & Pay Bills, select Recent Invoice and Payment History, a list of your invoices will display- simply select the one you wish to view/ print.
- Please note that it may take a few moments to load the invoice in the viewer.
- How do I customize my alerts in WaterSmart?
- Login to WaterSmart, select Settings from the menu options at the top of the screen, select Communication Preferences to view your alert options and set your delivery preferences:
- I paid my bill, why does it still show a balance on my bill summary?
- It will always show what your most recent bill is/was, even if the amount is not currently due.
- What portal should I be using if I am a sewer only or garbage only customer?
- Please, use the InvoiceCloud portal for these payment types.
- Why is my account not pulling up in InvoiceCloud?
- Make sure you are entering your last name only as it appears on your account. Still having trouble? Give us a call at (406) 657-8315, we’re happy to help!
WaterSmart Portal Instructional Videos
Make sure you know how to turn your water off in an emergency— the interior shut-off valve should be located just below the meter!
Billings Area Maps
- See all of the Public Works Maps (Garbage Routes, Road Closures and more!)
- Billings Public Interest Map
- Billings Bike & Multi-use Trails Maps
- Use the layers options in the Billings Public Interest Map to view Recreational Trails & Public Bike-ways, or get the Billings Heritage Trails App LEARN MORE.
- Visit TrailLink for helpful information and reviews about each trail
- Check out the Billings TrailNet Maps, or grab one of their handy mobile apps:
|Community Partners||Service Type||Phone|
|Billings Heights Water District||Water Utility Outside of City Service Area||(406) 252-0539|
|Lockwood Water & Sewer District||Water & Sewer Utility Outside of City Service Area||(406) 259-4120|
|MacKenzie Disposal||Garbage Collection Outside of City Service Area||(406) 259-3600|
|Montana-Dakota Utilities||Utility Services not Available through the City||(406) 896-4250|
|Montana Department of Transportation||Repair & Maintenance of State Routes||(406) 252-4138|
|Northwestern Energy||Utility Services not Available through the City||(888) 467-2669|
|Republic Services||Garbage Collection Outside of City Service Area||(406) 248-5400|
|Yellowstone County Public Works||Repair & Maintenance Outside of City Service Area||(406) 256-2735|
Conservation is a key strategy in keeping your utility bill low. Learn more about your water resource at epa.gov/watersense. Another tactic to evaluate water use is addressing leaks, find additional information at allianceforwaterefficiency.org/resources. City of Billings Water Utility Customers can also sign-up for conservation tips and leak alerts with WaterSmart, our online portal and toolkit just for you! Have questions? Give us a call at (406) 657-8315 to speak with a customer service representative.
Check out this important Public Service Message:
Please, remember- NO WIPES DOWN THE PIPES!