What should I do with unused medication?

Unused Medication Disposal

Any unused medications should be taken to an approved drop-off location for safe disposal. The Department of Justice provides a searchable data base of approved locations, find a location near you

Some prescription and OTC medications may be placed in drop--boxes at City locations listed below, please see the accepted items list and Guidelines section for additional information on proper handling and disposal practices:

  • The Billings Crime Prevention Center at 2910 3rd Ave North, (406) 247-8590
  • City Hall at 210 North 27th Street, (406) 657-8433


  • Prescriptions
  • Prescription patches
  • Prescription medications
  • Prescription ointments
  • Over-the-counter medications
  • Vitamins
  • Samples
  • Medications for pets


  • Hydrogen peroxide
  • Inhalers
  • Thermometers
  • Needles (Sharps)
  • Medication from businesses or clinics
  • Ointments, lotions or liquids
  • Aerosol cans

Guidelines for proper handling and disposal of medications and sharps in the State of Montana are provided by the Montana Department of Environment Quality (MTDEQ), additional information is available from the U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA):

Show All Answers

1. Water or Sewer Service Emergency
2. What should I do with unused medication?
3. Landfill Hours/ Directions
4. Garbage/ Yard Waste Service
5. Call before you dig/ locate requests
6. Utility Account Services & Payments